Trevor Kicks 1 Habit, Starts Another
Trevor had been a sleepy time pacifier (schnulli) user. He gave up his daytime privileges ages ago...but now, he is night time pacifier free...yep, I said it....No more paci, schnulli, tout tout, binky or whatever else you want to call it....he is free, man...free...from that all too common baby habit! YEAH TREVOR!!
It was very late one night last week when T woke up with a pacifier emergency...these happen very frequently...and he just would not go back to sleep. In a rash 3.30 am decision making process, I decided his whole sleeping problem stemmed from his addiction to his schnulli. Of course, T has never slept well, mostly due to the fact that I never put him to bed still semi-awake like everyone tells you to do - I found that out much too late to do much about it.
Terry and I had tried it all...the Ferber method (during these phases, one of us would totally give in after hours and hours of hysterical crying), the various ways of soothing him to sleep, co-sleeping...if Trevor has one issue...it's his lack of deep sleep, through the night.
So...when Terry came in to see why Trevor was having such a fit, at 4.00 am, I told him I had taken away the schnulli and he wasn't getting it back. Terry was a little upset at my impulsive, solo, middle of the night decision making, but has agreed (reluctantly) that eventually it did have to go...
I feel that Trevor is getting more quality sleep now that the schnulli is gone, however, the going to bed process is still not as smooth as I think we would all like it. Terry said last night he wasn't convinced that Trevor is sleeping any better and may be sleeping not as well, but I think when Trev stops realizing what he is missing, things will roll along more sweetly. Afterall, it takes 21 days to break any habit and he has been without it at bedtime for only a few days now. I think he is doing really well, considering he went cold turkey...
And as one habit has phased out, another habit has begun...Trevor is drinking from his own little pirate mug. Yep...we are transitioning him off of the bottles and straight onto the real thing. Sure, he drinks his one juice a day from a sippy cup, but man, I'm talking the real thing here and today he took the cup by the sides and did it himself...a little bit was spilled, but he is definitely getting the hang of it.
It's funny, Trevor has these semi-circle nesting cup toy thingies and while he was playing with them today, he actually used one like a cup and drank from it! What a smart little guy - progressing super well and impressing us continually!!
Check back in a day or so....a milk moustache photo will be appearing soon!



No comments:
Post a Comment