Thursday, January 25

A Butt Emergency

Okay...Trevor has super sensitive skin...he develops prickly heat rashes within minutes of entering a warm environment...we JUST got his cheeks taken care of - thanks in part to some all natural eczema cream and a humidifier.

But his butt rash has been a point of extra concern for us...his chronic diaper rash has been viewed by his doctor a few times and various medicinal creams and lotions have been given...to no avail.

Diaper brands have been changed...using wipes, not using wipes, cold water cloths, hot water cloths...aveeno, desitin, cornstarch, vaseline...

Earlier this week...everything looked good...things were clearing up...the rash ceased to crawl up the back of his thighs.....until.....this afternoon.....

I changed him and his rash had ulcerated!!!

Poor boy had open wounds all along his cheeks and slightly up his thighs....

I got on the phone and called Terry at work to let him know I was contacting the doctor and getting Trevor in today...naturally, no answer at the Doc's office...just a message I could not understand. I call friends, " do you know any pediatricians?" I get a few different numbers...NO ANSWER AT ANY OFFICE. This is when my calm escalates to a minor panic.

Terry rolls in at a super-sonic pace and takes the phone from me... "I haven't been able to get a hold of ANYONE!!" - just to let him know so he won't be disappointed when it happens to him. Of course...I hear Terry talking to the nurses at the front desk of our Doctor's office and I am like, only Terry, man...only Terry.

So, we get Trevor in without much difficulty and Dr. Wild takes a peek, gasps - draws in a breath and says, "uh, yeah...that's not good." Duh!

After some discussion about how sensitive Trev's skin in (we know) and verifying that it had nothing to do with anything that he ate, no new lotions, no new detergents...the regular run down, she gives us 3 different prescriptions to try out and if those three don't work, a back-up prescription for steroid cream - since the weekend is coming up and if things don't look better.

How do I feel about this? I'm not sure...I think a part of me really wanted to see a different doc just for a different opinion since nothing she has given us up until now has really worked...is she taking this problem more seriously now? Did it really need to get to the point of ulcers?

At least the boy has been in really good spirits today...a great mood, eating well, taking quality naps....he doesn't seem too bothered other than when we apply the cream...which is expected.

So.....a butt emergency....never a dull moment around here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emilyn had the same thing, and our doctor told us: "Domeboro." http://www.bayercare.com/htm/domefaq.htm You soak his butt in a basin. If you can get him to sit still, that is. It really works! If you can't find it, I can overnite you some! Just let me know! -J